7 Advanced Stability Ball Workouts to Strengthen Your Core
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Sigmund_Kii]Sigmund Kii
A stability ball can be one of the best tools that will help you in strengthening your body. Many people like to use a stability ball to train their core muscles and improve balance and coordination. Here in this article, I will show you many exercises that you can use in your stability ball workouts. Some of these moves can be tough and may require some previous experience in using the ball.
When you are using these exercises in your stability ball workouts, it is recommended that for your first try, you hold onto a wall or hold onto something stable to help you learn the movement. Also, as part of your stability ball workouts, you should perform 1-3 sets consisting of 10-15 reps for each of these exercises.
Stability Ball Workouts #1: Ball Twist
1. Get yourself into a pushup position, except that your feet will be laying on either side of the ball. You should turn your ankles so that they are hugging the ball.
2. While keeping your body straight and hands directly under your shoulders, slowly twist the ball to the right.
3. Then repeat by twisting it to the left.
Keep in mind that your shoulders and back should be leveled during this exercise; don't let your body sag in the middle.
Stability Ball Workouts #2: Butt Lift
1. Sit next to the ball with your glutes (butt) on the ground. Your head, neck, and shoulders should be supported by the ball, and your knees will be bent.
2. Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips until your body is forming a a straight line; your knees will be bent at a 90° angle. (you will basically look like a bridge)
3. Hold that position for 3-5 seconds, then lower your body and repeat.
Stability Ball Workouts #3: Back Extension
1. Lay on top of the ball, face down. Position the ball under your hips & abs. You can leave your knees straight or bent (but your feet should be touching the ground). Keep your hands behind yourself.
2. To do the movement, you are going to try to slowly roll the ball. You should lift your chest off the ball and bring your shoulders up until your entire body forms a straight line.
3. Lower your body and repeat
Stability Ball Workouts #4: Hip Extension
1. Lie down on the ground, with your feet on top of the stability ball. Relax yourself.
2. Using your abs, lift your hips off of the ground (squeeze the glutes) until your body is forming a straight line.
3. If you would like to make this more challenging, lift your hips up and then lift one leg off of the ball. Hold for a second, and then lower your body. Repeat by lifting your other leg off of the ball.
Stability Ball Workouts #5: Ball Rotation
1. Lie down on top of the ball, with the ball positioned underneath your shoulders. Keep your arms extended over your chest, with your palms together.
2. Position your body to form a straight line (you will look like a bridge).
3. Tighten your glutes and abs, then slowly twist your body towards the right. While you are doing that, move your arms downwards so that they are parallel to the ground.
4. Come back up and repeat by moving your body to the other side.
Be sure to not fall off your ball by rolling too far! Use your abs to twist your body!
Stability Ball Workouts #6: Ab Roll
This exercise should not be done if you have back problems!
1. Kneel down on your knees with the ball placed in front of you. Put the ball in front of you. Then place your arms on top of the stability ball, with your arms parallel to each other.
2. Tighten your torso and slowly roll the ball forward. You should roll the ball forward as much as you can without arching/straining your back.
3. Squeeze your abs abs and slowly bring the ball and body back to its start position.
Stability Ball Workouts #7: Ball Balance
1. Lie face down on top of the ball. Place the stability ball in between your abs and hips. Keep your hands on the floor, and your legs straight (your legs will be off of the ground & they will be parallel to the ground).
2. Hold this position for 20-35 seconds, while keeping your body straight.
3. While you are doing step 2, you will take your left arm and slowly raise it off of the ground. You will now only have 1 arm to support you.
4. Keep your arm up for about 3-5 seconds, then repeat it by lifting your other arm of of the ground.
While you are doing steps 3 & 4, do your best to maintain balance; don't roll off of the ball or collapse! Maintain a straight body!
With these 7 advanced exercises, you'll have a amazing stability ball workouts that will give you a strong core within no time. Work your body often and maintain a good diet and you'll have that great looking body you've always wanted.
Read on to learn more about various exercises, techniques, and diets for [http://www.foreverfitness.wordpress.com]fitness and weight loss by visiting my website. If you're really serious about strengthening your body, then check out my [http://foreverfitness.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/burnthefatfeedthemusclereview]Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle eBook review for a weight loss program that is guaranteed to make you burn fat quickly, without using some crazy gimmick. This program that takes you back to the old and true method of losing fat: fitness and proper dieting.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sigmund_Kii http://EzineArticles.com/?7-Advanced-Stability-Ball-Workouts-to-Strengthen-Your-Core&id=1379717